Trinity’s story began with Paulus List, a member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Chicago and Manager of the United Lutheran Publication House of Chicago. He had family living in Des Plaines and when visiting them, often discussed the need for a new Lutheran church to serve people in this area. In 1925, he convinced the Mission Board of the Illinois Synod to conduct a study and canvas of the city and its environs. This led to the establishment of a mission congregation called Trinity.
On September 1, 1925, the first worship services were held in the Masonic Temple on Miner Street under the leadership of the Rev. Dr. T.B. Hersch, Missionary Superintendent of the Illinois Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America. After a short time, the fledgling congregation moved to worshipping in a storefront on Miner Street and organized a Sunday School.
On May 26, 1926, approximately a year after it was first conceived, this congregation was formally established and organized and chartered under the corporate title of Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Des Plaines, Illinois. There were nineteen charter members:
Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Johnson
Mr. and Mrs. E.L. Hahn
Alfred Hahn
Ella Hahn
Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Neuman
Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Klipstein
Mr. and Mrs. Raleigh Klipstein
Mr. and Mrs. Theron Sisson
Mrs. Louisa Armbruster
Mrs. Ida Kurth
Mrs. Anna and Miss Alma Grambauer
Mr. Chas. Gatzke
Having established the congregation, the Rev. Dr. T.B. Hersch completed his time at Trinity in May 1926. He was succeeded by the Rev. Harmon J. McGuire, then a divinity student at the Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary in Maywood, who served as student pastor for the remainder of the year. In later years, he became become president of the Illinois Synod.
On February 1, 1927, the Rev. Paul J. Gerberding, Field Missionary of the Illinois Synod of the United Lutheran Church, began his tenure at Trinity. The growing congregation then moved to a larger temporary quarters in the American Legion Home.
On March 6, 1927, the congregation decided to purchase property on Rose Ave., near 2nd Ave. A portable chapel, formerly used by different mission congregations in Chicago, was donated by the Mission Board. Members worked to erect and prepare the chapel. Just a week after the chapel was completed, the building collapsed in a heavy windstorm. The congregation was not deterred and rallied to rebuild and redecorate the chapel, which was dedicated on June 5, 1927.
Growth at this time was inevitable and soon thereafter Trinity was ready to extend a call to its first full-time pastor. The choice of the congregation was the Rev. L.G. Bald, a graduate of Waterloo Seminary in Canada. The Rev. Bald began his pastorage on July, 3, 1927 and served Trinity for almost eleven years. During this period the chapel building was expanded to provide additional space for various activities. The first women’s group, the Dorcas Society was also organized in 1927.
Trinity Congregation Council’s recommendations for the January 1928 Congregational Meeting
That a budget plan basing the expenditures for the year of 1928 as $2500 be adopted, a membership canvas to be held the Sunday following the congregational meeting
That the congregation take part in the Pastors Pension and Relief Fund.
That church membership constitute any two of the following three:
Receiving of Lord’s Supper
Attending services once a year
Paying of pledges
That a building committee be appointed by the Council. (The congregation or Church Council must pass on all expenditures before being made.)
That Lord’s Supper be held once every two months.
That the congregation give Rev. Bald a note of thanks for his services
That Rev. Bald be given one month’s vacation.
In the summer of 1927, the portable chapel was rededicated and Rev. Bald began his tenure as Trinity’s pastor. During the congregation’s early years, a number of organizations were formed within the church including the Dorcas Society, the Women’s Missionary Society, the Brotherhood, the Sunday School, the Light Brigade, Luther League, and a Men’s Chorus. The congregation added a worship service on Thanksgiving Day and midweek Lenten services. They tried out a Sunday evening worship and also experimented with an earlier time for Sunday School and worship during the summer in 1933. This was not popular and required a special Council meeting for discussion “on account of the early hour, attendance decreased and the primary class children were too sleepy to pay attention to teachers.”
Finances were a constant concern in these years. The various organizations within the congregation controlled their own budgets, and the Congregation Council regularly asked these groups to help pay the church’s bills. Of course, the Great Depression that began in 1929 didn’t help, although there is little mention of it in the Council minutes of the era, except in Rev. Bald’s report at the Annual Congregational Meeting in 1932, “it was noted … that 1931 was a year of peace with all departments working as well as can be expected under the handicap of depression.” At the 1933 Congregational meeting, it was reported that little benevolence was paid to the larger church and the pastor’s salary had not been paid in full. Throughout this time, the Mission Board of the United Lutheran Church was subsidizing the congregation. The amount received decreased every year with the expectation that Trinity would continue to become more self-sufficient.
From minutes of Council and Congregational meetings:
Mr. Hessleby was appointed to get estimates and information regarding heating of the chapel. (9/10/1928)
The regular quarterly meeting of the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was held at the church. 14 members being present. The following recommendations of the church council were passed on: That the Mission Board be asked to investigate conditions in Des Plaines. General discussion preceding this motion showed that members were rapidly losing interest in the church and a very small percentage of the members were active. (10/28/1929)
There was some discussion as to what could be done to improve and increase our church attendance but no action taken at this meeting. (2/2/1930 )
Subject of janitor was discussed. No action taken. (4/7/1930)
Moved by E. Herzog that the chairman appoint a Relief Committee to help poor. (9/14/1931)
The midweek Services were mentioned by Reverend Bald to find out if we would keep them up or discontinue them. Giving them another trial was favored. (4/4/1932)
M. Stoeckel went to the conference with Reverend Bald and reported that after he visited some of the other churches he didn't think our church was so bad in itself, referring to financial and other appearance. (5/2/1932)
On account of stormy weather there was no February meeting. (3/6/1933)
Insurance came up for discussion and it was decided to drop insurance with Mr. Miller on account of too high premiums and accept a Insurance offered by C. Wille for less cost. Condition of roof of church was discussed and floor of church was rotting. Rev. Bald and H. Hammerl promised to take care of same. (6/5/1933)
Mr. Barrows spoke on the condition the church was left in after the Halloween party given by the Luther League on Saturday October 31st. After some discussion, Secretary was instructed to write Luther League about same. (12/7/1936)
From minutes of Council and Congregational meetings:
Upon motion properly made and seconded the Council voted to purchase a gift (an umbrella) for Miss Grambauer in appreciation for services rendered. (4/2/1928)
It was decided that all persons not members of the church who so desire shall be given communion, providing they are worthy of same to the best knowledge of the pastor. (4/2/1928 )
Rev. Bald discussed the (possibility) of building a tennis court along side the church. (6./4/1928)
Special meeting was held to determine what might be done to improve and increase an interest in our congregation. Motion made and seconded that we secure the names of those present due to the lack of attendance and a committee be appointed to ascertain from those not present to State their reason. A report to be made to the church Council when the Committee has finished their canvas. (9/8/1930)
The audit of Sunday School books shows that Mr. Schiefelbein owes the Sunday fund $294.90. The Council decided that the Financial Secretary and Treasurer demand action from Mr. Schiefelbein in regards to settlement. Phone arrangements made by Reverend Bald to meet and talk to Mr. Schiefelbein at 11:30 p.m. tonight and committee to meet at Reverend Bald’s following day. (12/1/1930)
It was suggested that we loosen the carpet and turn it around and take out the brass railing and put in wooden rail. (2/1/1932)
The Treasurer’s report was then read showing a balance after all bills outside the congregation having been paid to have been $12.09. Little benevolence had been paid and the pastor’s salary was not fully paid. (1/15/1933)
[Vice President] explained why this meeting was called which is the problem concerning Sunday School on account of the early hour. Attendance decreased and the Primary Class Children were too sleepy to pay attention to teachers, therefore S. S. Superintendent asked Council's action to remedy this. A discussion was held by all members and a motion was made to present said condition to our congregation on Sunday, to have Congregation by vote decide at what hour S.S. and Church Services shall be held. (7/13/1933)
Some discussion regarding Church bulletins with business men's ads was left in the hands of the Pastor. (6/4/1934)
Mr. Stoeckel offered the following for the Council's consideration
That the church property be placed in order and kept so.
Members of council visit members and non-members throughout the year.
See that the church and respective organizations refrain from raising funds through questionable means.
Members of council investigate any grievances between the pastor and members that may occur. (2/1/1937)
Finances were tight at Trinity throughout Rev. Bald’s tenure. All the various organizations of the congregation, such as the Women’s Missionary Society, the Brotherhood and the Luther League, had their own leadership structures and their own budgets. Trinity was receiving support from the Mission Board of the United Lutheran Church, but that was still not enough to pay the pastor’s entire salary. In 1937, Rev. Bald finally brought up to the Council the issue of the back salary he was owed. There were several special collections to raise this money, however when Rev. Bald announced his resignation in November, 1938, the congregation still owed him back salary.
In January, 1939, the Mission Board recommended Rev. Paul Nordiek and the congregation voted to call him as their new pastor. During this time, it became clear to both the congregation and the Mission Board that Trinity needed a new church home. The Council considered a number of sites around Des Plaines, including a property at Thacker and 2nd Avenue, where St. Martin’s Episcopal Church now stands. Trinity had considered buying the old Congregational Church building at Graceland and Prairie as early as 1930, but they could not afford it. In March, 1939 with the help of a loan from the Mission Board, the congregation voted to purchase the old church for $5,000, which was a bargain compared to the $22,000 - $25,000 the Mission Board figured it would cost to build a brand new church.
As the Trinity congregation settled into its new church home throughout 1939, war broke out in Europe. Hints of the war’s impact begin to appear in the Council minutes from these years:
October 1940 – “Lutheran World Action for orphan missions and their families was next explained by the Pastor, that the Lutheran Churches of the Land were endeavoring to raise $500,000 by the 1st of January 1941. Motion made that November 3 and November 10 would be set aside for special collection.”
February 1941 – “A letter from the United Churches of Chicago asking permission to have refugee speaker give talk on the ravages of war in Europe was received and read.” Permission was granted. It was reported later that the offering raised $14.62 to be used for refugee purposes.
May 1941 – “The Lutheran churches are cooperating on a project for adequate provision for church services for the boys in the army training quarters.” Campaign buttons were sold for $1. The goal was $250,000 and Trinity’s quota was $45.
December 1, 1941 (just a week before the attack on Pearl Harbor) – “All members of the church who are in the service of U.S.A. will be carried as honorary members.”
December 18, 1941 – “The pastor asked for volunteers to attend the defense program meeting to be held at Rand Park. There was also a motion that our church cooperate with the defense program.”
April 1942 – “A letter from the United Charities asking permission to send a representative to speak for War Refugee Donations was tabled for the time being.”
September 1942 – “A motion to pay a $7.35 Premium on War Damage Insurance to the Church Extension Dept. of the Board of American Missions was carried. It was also suggested that the subject of taking out War Damage [Insurance] on the Church Building be brought up at the next meeting.”
April 1943 – “The subject concerning a Sunday School for the children at Forest River was discussed at some length. Because of the transportation situation due to gas rationing, it was agreed that the only answer to the problem now was to interest the parents to bring the children to our Sunday School.”
February 1944 – “Mr. Stoeckel brough up the matter of what plans we might have should peace ‘come over night.’ After due consideration, it was moved that if peace should come during the night, we would hold a Service of Thanksgiving at 10:45 AM. If it should come during the day after 10:45 AM. then we would hold a service at 8 PM. This service would be held if peace should come in either European or Asiatic theatre of the war or both sections at once.”
March 1944 – “In discussing the status of the Luther League, Pastor Wendt explained that it was dormant particularly because the young men are in the service.”
November 1944 – “After considerable discussion, a motion was carried altering previously accepted Armistice Day Service plans so that, should armistice be declared in either the European or Asiatic Theater of War, a service be conducted at 8 PM on that day, except that, were the armistice made known after 7PM, the service be held at 8 PM on the following day.”
In his report at the Annual Congregation Meeting in 1947, Pastor Wendt pointed out that 1946 had been a time of transition for the nation, the world, and Trinity. The minutes from the meeting state that “Noteworthy accomplishments of Trinity Church in the past year included the good record that was set in the field of benevolent giving and in addition the members have contributed in such a manner that all through the year the church has been in a sound position financially…. For the future of Trinity Church, it was pointed out that we are no longer considered a small church but have attained an excellent reputation and have a powerful influence in the community.”
As a growing church, Trinity got busier in the post-war years. Worship attendance and Sunday School enrollment continued to increase. The congregation sponsored both a Boy Scout troop and a Girl Scout troop. A variety of fellowship events were held including a Congregational Picnic in the summer and a festival in the fall. There was so much going on that they appointed an Organizations Chairman to meet with the presidents of the various organizations and a schedule of meetings was posted to avoid conflicts. An adult bible class was proposed and the Youth Fellowship Group revived. The Women’s Missionary Society joined with other churches in Des Plaines to support a clothing drive for the people of Europe.
In 1948, Trinity hired a part-time Secretary for $1 per hour. The congregation seemed to be outgrowing the church building, which required constant maintenance. Despite the improving finances of the congregation, they still carried more than $6700 in debt for the mortgages on the church building and the parsonage. The funds raised through the 20th Anniversary Building Fund were used for heating and updating the rooms in the basement. The congregation considered both adding on to the existing building and finding a new location, but the high costs of both real estate and building materials in the immediate post-war years meant these plans did not go forward.